genre: Casual, Simulation Game – Whole life Simulator (from Birth to Retirement)
educational purpose: Offers young people a way to find out more about resources and opportunities about future careers.
target audience: 9 to 15 year olds
H&H taxonomy class: Personal Skills (Self-reflection, strategic thinking, problem solving, research skills, make decisions, adaptation to change, initiative/proactiveness), Interpersonal skills (empathy, communication, negotiation), Social Awareness(social responsibility, environment, education)
web page: http://playgen.com/portfolio/me-tycoon/
release date: 2011
platform: Web (PC, MAC, Linux)
- Enables students to learn about the implications of various life choices on future careers, and discover a comprehensive variety of job types that they may not have previously considered.
- Provides an exciting online experience for players to practice and understand the importance of developing transferrable skills, aided by discovering career stories from iCould.com.
- Allows students to discover the changing nature of the jobs market and potential areas of future growth.
- Helps students visualise and understand that today’s careers are not always achieved as a linear progression.
Key messages and themes
- The importance of grabbing any opportunities for learning, developing skills and gaining experience
- Money management
- Utilising the experiences of others as a valuable source of learning
- Discover a vast range of careers